Facts and interesting information about Medieval Weapons, Armor and arms,
specifically, the Caltrops
Description of Medieval Caltrops
The weapons used the Medieval times include the Medieval Caltrops. The description of the Medieval Caltrops which provides basic facts and information about the weapon is as follows:
- Medieval Caltrops - This form of weapon was device with four metal points arranged so that when any three are on the ground the fourth spike projects upward
- The objective for using this weapon was as an effective hazard to the hooves of horses
- The word "caltrop" comes from Old English word 'calcatrippe' and the Latin word 'calcitrapa' meaning "foot trap"
- The method for using this weapon was to toss a handful of Caltrops at a targeted location and spread the small metal spikes over a large area
- The caltrop was effective in damaging the hooves of horses and slowing their movement
- The Medieval horse, called a Destrier was the favored horses of knights in Medieval Times and any means of combating this fearful animal were used by their opponents
The Medieval times were an extremely violent era in history featuring battles in both Europe and the Holy Land when the crusades, and the crusaders who fought them, were numerous. Feudal Lords and Knights and their men at arms used such weapons as the Medieval Caltrops in different types of warfare. The quest for power led to invasions of lands and territories which had to be fought for. Siege warfare, waged to win a castle or a walled town or city, was a frequent occurrence during the Medieval times. Warfare during the Medieval era called for a variety of weapon expertise. Knights and men-at-arms (who consisted of foot soldiers or archers) used different types of weapons. The Medieval Caltrops was predominantly used by a Foot Soldiers. The weapons used were dictated according to status and position. The weapons, armor and horse of the Knight were extremely expensive - the fighting power of just one knight was worth 10 ordinary soldiers.
Medieval Weapons and Armor - Caltrops
The Medieval Life and Times website provides interesting facts, history and information about the weapons, armor and battles in Medieval history, including the Caltrops, which scatter the history books. The Medieval Times Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts about the fascinating subject of the lives of the soldiers and knights who lived during the historical period of the Middle Ages. The content of this article on Caltrops provides free educational details, facts and information for reference and research for schools, colleges and homework for history courses and history coursework.