Facts and interesting information about Medieval Clothing, specifically Peasant Dresses,
ideal for research into Medieval Costumes
Medieval clothing and fashion, including the Peasant Dresses, like everything else was dictated by the Pyramid of Power which was the Medieval Feudal System. Medieval clothes provided information about the status of the person wearing them. The clothing and fashion during the Medieval times of the Middle Ages was dominated and highly influenced by the Kings and Queens of the era. Only the wealthy could dress in fashionable clothes. Medieval Sumptuary Laws restricted people in their expenditure including money spent on clothes. The head-dress worn by people during the Medieval times of the Middle Ages immediately conveyed the rank of the person.
Medieval Women's Fashion
Medieval Nun's Clothing
The Peasant Dresses were basic and practical. The dress of the women in the lowest ranks of society was at first a shapeless dress. The dress was fastened at the waist by a simple girdle. The dress was covered by a shawl. The simple dresses from the Middle Ages consisted of:
- A dress of cheap woollen cloth
- Colors were basic as dyes were expensive. Simple dresses were off-white, grey, brown or red
- The dress was fastened by a belt or girdle around the waist or hips
- A sleeveless tunic
- A shawl of thick woollen material or fur, which fell from the shoulders to half-way down her legs
- Shoes were made of leather and simply wrapped around the foot
- Peasant women wore wimples to cover their hair. A wimple was a piece of material, square or circular in shape, was draped over the head to the shoulders and held in place by a band around the brow. The wimple completely covered the hair, neck and ears by medieval women
- Mittens were worn for their warmth
The Medieval Times website provides interesting facts, history and information about the clothes and fashion which scatter the Medieval History books including Peasant Dresses. The Medieval Times Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts about the fascinating subject of the lives of the people who lived during the historical period of the Middle Ages. The content of this article on Medieval life and times provides free educational details, facts and information for reference and research for schools, colleges and homework for history courses and history coursework.