Short Biography, facts and interesting information about Kublai Khan - the life of one of the famous people who lived during the Medieval times
Famous Mongol military leader and Emperor of China met by Marco Polo
The Medieval Times encompass one of the most exciting periods in the History of England and Europe. The names of many famous Medieval people scatter the Medieval History books and other historical documents. Why were these important Medieval people famous and what did they accomplish? Famous Medieval people of the Middle Ages included Artists, Clerics, Crusaders, Explorers, Religious Leaders, Military Leaders, Philosophers & Theologians, Scientists, Physicians, Writers & Poets and Reformers who featured in the Medieval times of the Middle Ages from 1066 - 1485. The following biography, short history and interesting facts provide helpful information for history courses and history coursework about the key dates and events in the life of Kublai Khan who was famous as a Medieval Mongol Conqueror and his relationship with Marco Polo. Kublai Khan conquered China and established the Chinese Yuan Dynasty. Kublai Khan was also famous for creating the first paper currency system
Short Biography about the life of Kublai Khan
The following biography, short history and interesting facts provide helpful information for history courses and history coursework about the life and history of Kublai Khan a famous Medieval character of historical importance who lived during the Middle Ages:
- Country of Origin / Nationality: Mongol
- Also Known by the Nickname: Setsen Khan or the Wise Khan
- Lifetime: 1215 - 1294
- Born: Kublai Khan was born in 1215
- Family connections : He was the Grandson of the infamous Genghis Khan
- The Mongol Empire was separated into four Khanates, each ruled by a separate Khan
- He was elected Khan on May 5, 1260. The Great Khanate controlled Mongolia and also China
- Dates he begins his reign as Khan of the Mongols: May 5, 1260 – December 17, 1271
- Dates he begins his reign as Emperor of Yuan China: December 18, 1271 – February 18, 1294
- Childhood, early life and education:
- Occupation and Career: In 1251 Kublai became the governor of Southern territories of Mongol Empire - his brother Mongke was the Khan
- Kublai Khan conquered China and established the Chinese Yuan Dynasty. Kublai Khan became an emperor in the Chinese tradition and established a court at Peking
- In his search for gold Kublai Khan twice attempted to invade Japan in 1274 and 1281
- Died: Kublai Khan died in 1294
- Accomplishments and Achievements or why Kublai Khan was famous: Famous Mongol military leader and Emperor of China met by Marco Polo
- Kublai Khan also introduced paper currency in China
- The life story and autobiography of Marco Polo was called 'The Travels of Marco Polo' which also details the relationship between Marco polo and Kublai Khan. The Travels of Marco Polo describes Kublai Khan in battle against his uncle Nayan
The story and biography of Kublai Khan which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical importance
1271 - Marco Polo meets Kublai Khan in Peking
In 1271, when Marco Polo (1254-1324) was seventeen years old, he accompanied his father and uncle on a 3 year journey through the Holy Land, Persia and Tartary, and at length to the Empire of China, then called Cathay. The emperor of Cathay was a monarch named Kublai Khan who lived in Peking. Marco Polo's father and uncle had been in Cathay once before and had entertained Kublai Khan by telling him about the manners and customs of Europe. So when the two Venetian merchants again appeared in Peking, Kublai Khan was glad to see them and welcomed the young Marco Polo, whom he invited to the palace at Peking. The Kublai Khan gave important positions at the Chinese court to the Polo family who lived in the country for some years. Marco Polo studied the Chinese language, and it was not very long before he could speak it and converse with Kublai Khan.
Marco Polo works as an envoy for Kublai Khan
When Marco Polo was about 21 Kublai Khan sent him on very important business to a distant part of China. He did the work well and from that time was often employed as an envoy of the Chinese monarch. His travels were sometimes in lands never before visited by Europeans and Marco Polo had many strange adventures among the almost unknown tribes of Asia. Step by step he was promoted by Kublai Khan. For several years he was governor of a great Chinese city. Finally Marco Polo and his father and uncle desired to return to Venice. They had all served Kublai Khan faithfully and he had appreciated it and given them rich rewards; but Kublai Khan did not wish to let them go.
Kublai Khan allows Marco Polo to leave China
While the matter was being talked over between Kublai Khan and the Polo family an embassy arrived in Peking from the King of Persia. This monarch wanted to marry the daughter of Kublai Khan who was called the Princess Cocachin. The embassy had been sent to ask her father, Kublai Khan, for her hand in marriage. Consent was given, and Kublai Khan fitted out a fleet of fourteen ships to carry the wedding party to Persia. The Princess Cocachin was a great friend of Marco Polo, and urged Kublai Khan to allow him to go with the party. Finally Kublai Khan gave his consent. Marco Polo's father and uncle were also allowed to go, and the three Venetians left Kublai Khan and China.
Marco Polo dictates an account of his travels and Kublai Khan
For a year Marco Polo was confined in a Genoese prison. Marco Polo dictated a fellow prisoner an account of his travels and Kublai Khan. This account was carefully written out. Copies of the manuscript exist to this day. One of these is in a library in Paris. Another copy is preserved in the city of Berne. It is said that the book was translated into many languages, so that people in all parts of Europe learned about the adventures. of Marco Polo and the relationship between Marco polo and Kublai Khan.
Famous Medieval People - Kublai Khan
Interesting facts and information with a short biography about the Medieval Life, Times and history of Kublai Khan. Additional useful details, facts, history, biography, timeline and information about the lives of other famous people of the Dark Ages and Middle Ages, and the important events which occurred during their times, can be accessed via the Medieval Life and Times Sitemap. The content of this article on Medieval life and times provides free educational details, facts and information for reference and research for schools, colleges and homework for history courses and history coursework.